Basic First Aid
The Basic First Aid course helps students develop basic first aid knowledge, skills, and the confidence to respond.
Intended audience Individuals who are not healthcare providers or professional rescuers but desire or are required to be certified in basic emergency medical care.
• Max student to instructor ratio: 10 to 1
• Recommended student to equipment ratio: 3 to 1 HSS-approved training materials
• Basic First Aid Student book (one per participant, print or digital)
• Basic First Aid media presentation (program video, PowerPoint® or computer/online blended class)
Recognized certification period: Up to 2 years Successful completion (certification)
• Written evaluation: When not required by a regulatory agency, it is optional.
• Performance evaluation: All students must perform required skills competently without assistance.
Recommended time to complete
• Initial training: 2.5-3 hours
• Renewal training: Less than initial instructional time