HSS Health & Safety Solutions
Office 504, 5th floor, Latifa Tower, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai
United Arab Emirates .
As a certification body HSS Health & Safety Solutions is committed to acting impartially in relation to its applicants, candidates, and certified persons. Certification decisions shall be made in accordance with policies and procedures. Policies and procedures affecting applicants, candidates, and certified persons shall be made public and shall fairly and accurately convey information about the certification program. As a company HSS Health & Safety Solutions & its employees are committed to the following.
1. To act impartially and fairly in relation to applicants, candidates, and certified persons
2. To not restrict certification on the grounds of undue financial or other limiting conditions, such as membership in an association or group.
3. To not unfairly impede or inhibit access to certification by applicants and candidates.
4. To not allow commercial, financial, or other pressures to compromise impartiality.
5. To make decisions according to policies and procedures.
6. To make public, policies and procedures affecting applicants, candidates, and certified persons.
7. To understand, identify, and minimize threats to impartiality
8. To understand and minimizes threats associated with related bodies
Impartiality shall be reviewed by each committee formed by HSS Health & Safety Solutions at each committee meeting to ensure compliance with this declaration.
Certified lifeguards must comply with the Code of Ethics during their certification, as set forth below:
As a certified lifeguard, they must perform work in a manner:
a) Free of bias with regard to religion, ethnicity, gender, age, national origin, and disability.
b) Place the safety and welfare of public, workers associated with facility operation above all other considerations.
c) Protect nearby general public property and the environment.
d) Make management aware if they have safety concerns relating to the life guarding operations that they are performing or witnessed any violation that might affect the safety of the swimmers.
e) Not violating safety-related regulations, warnings, or instructions set forth by DM, recognized safety standards.
f) Not misrepresenting or deceiving others concerning my experience or the capabilities of them self or the area they are working in.
g) Not misrepresent or misusing the certification card or the organization logo, both of which are the property of the certifying authority; and that they understand that they must return the card to the issuing authority immediately if required to do so.
h) Not performing additional duties while assigned the duty of swimmer protection
If their capability to fulfill the requirements of the role changes, they will inform HSS straight away and understand that the certification may be withdrawn, or the scope reduced.
Prior to granting Certification HSS Health & Safety Solutions will ensure that the Candidate has understood the below mentioned guidelines
An exception to this rule is that a Lifeguard may use such a substance or drug if a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the Lifeguard medical history and all assigned duties, and who has advised the Lifeguard the prescribed substance prescribes it will not adversely affect his ability to carry on his duties safely.
The purpose of this procedure is to lay down the methodology for appeals and complaints for assessing the conformity to specified requirements of HSS Health & Safety Solutions
This procedure covers the following at HSS Health & Safety Solutions • Candidate’s Appeals or Complaints
Operation Manager is overall responsible for implementation of this procedure.
4.0 Definitions / Abbreviation CEO Chief Executive Officer
5.1 Assessment decisions affecting candidates’ results.
5.2 Decisions other than assessment decisions which may affect Centers or candidates, such as.
Enquiries by candidates challenging results should first of all be lodged in writing and discussed with the Operations Manager. They will record and document the complaint in complaint register.
a) HSS Health & Safety Solutions will acknowledge the enquiry in writing within two working days of receipt of the enquiry.
b) If HSS Health & Safety Solutions investigations carried out by the Operations Manager identify there were errors in marking or other flaws in the processing of the assessment, a result may be adjusted by HSS Health & Safety Solutions to the appropriate level.
c) Enquiries submitted to HSS Health & Safety Solutions requiring the re-marking of multiple-choice examinations will be carried out manually.
d) Ordinarily the HSS Health & Safety Solutions Operations Manager will provide a full response to the enquiry, in writing, within ten working days of receipt of the initial enquiry. Response times may vary depending on the complexity of the matter and nature of the appeal.
• Candidate is not satisfied with the conduct of the examination.
5.3.1 HSS Health & Safety Solutions will consider Appeals or complaint from candidates via website, feedback or call to the centre. Center is subject to acceptance of the appeal or complaint on the following grounds:
• Based on result of an investigation of the Appeal or complaint details.
• Decision by HSS to suspend or withdraw the certificate.
• Rejecting a candidate application for training or certification.
• Candidate is dissatisfied with a decision of decision maker.
• If requirements of candidate assessment have not been properly recognized.
• Delay in result of certification… etc.
5.3.2 Organizations and candidates are advised that all appeals or complaints must be submitted with the Appeals Form online or paper and addressed to the Operations Manager. Candidates can appeal individually, or request personnel to submit the Appeals Form on their behalf. The following procedure will apply:
• The Appeals Form must be completed in full, and any supporting documents attached so that all information necessary to the adjudication is available at the outset.
• The Operations Manager will acknowledge receipt of a completed Appeal form, within 3 working days.
• Investigation will be done on the appeal or complaint to understand the failure of the HSS system.
• Ordinarily, the written outcome of the appeal should be communicated within 25 working days from receipt of the appeal/complaint. Response times may vary depending on the complexity of the matter and nature of the appeal/complaint.
• The Operations Manager will set up an Appeals panel consisting of at least one independent member from Impartial Committee.
• The Appeals panel will attempt to conclude its deliberations in the shortest time possible consistent with the nature of the necessary enquiries into the matters raised.
• Actions defined by the Panel may involve visits to event to review accommodation for assessment, interviews with candidates, interviews with concerned HSS staff or personnel, in order to understand the appeal circumstances.
• The Operations Manager will inform in writing the Centre and/or the Candidate the advances of the actions taken for the appeal.
• The Operations Manager will send outcomes of the Appeal in writing to the Centre Contact and/or the Candidate.
5.4 Appeals Fees
5.4.1 Approved Centers may be charged a fee for each visit to the Centre. If the Appeal is upheld, all fees for candidates or groups of candidates will be refunded in full. Should a Centre visit be deemed unnecessary for the Appeal, there will be no Centre visit fee.
5.5 Unresolved Appeals or Complaints
5.5.1 Should a candidate be dissatisfied with the decision of the Appeals Panel; then appeal will be escalated to the higher management of HSS to resolve the issue with Candidate or Centre.
6.0 Records Retention Period
Appeal or Complaint Form: QP-08/F-01 2 Year
The following is the minimum prerequisites for each lifeguard candidate in order to enroll for a lifeguard course
1. Be at least 16 years in age
2. Swim continuously in a strong manner for:
a. 50m nonstop in a comfortable manner, for a Shallow Water Lifeguards in under 1.5m depth.
b. 100m nonstop in a comfortable manner for a Pool Lifeguard in over 1.5m depth
c. 200m nonstop in a comfortable manner for a Beach/Waterfront Lifeguard.
3. Perform a surface dive and recover a 4 kg weight at a depth of:
a. 1.5m for a Shallow Water Lifeguard, where shallow water means that the depth is maximum 1.5m.
b. 3m, or to the deepest depth of the facility in which they will be lifeguarding for a Pool Lifeguard, where Pools means that the depth is more than 1.5m
c. 5m for Beach/Waterfront Lifeguard.
4. Tread water for at least:
a. 5 minutes for Pool lifeguards.
b. 10 minutes for Beach lifeguards.
Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid: (PRACTICAL)
a) Scene assessment
b) Barrier use/Standard Precautions
c) Primary assessment
d) Adult, child and infant CPR, Artificial resuscitation (Rescue Breathing) including 2 person CPR and the use of resuscitation mask
e) Conscious and unconscious (FBAO: Foreign Body Airway Obstruction) choking adult, child and infants
f) Serious bleeding management
g) Shock management
h) Spinal cord injury management-inland (this skill shall be retaught again for in water rescue using spine board)
i) Automated external defibrillator
j) Emergency oxygen use (as per DCAS Classification)
k) Injury assessment and response
l) Illness assessment and response
m) Basic Bandaging Techniques
n) Immobilization in case of dislocations or fractures
Water Rescue Skills (PRACTICAL)
1. Scanning, Recognition, Proactive Rotation
2. Distressed Swimmer Recognition and Response
3. Choking Adult or Child
4. Choking Infant
5. Sudden Illness
6. Severe Bleeding and Shock
7. Musculoskeletal Injury
8. Suspected Spinal Injury on land
9. Suspected Spinal Injury in water
10. Adult Sudden Cardiac Arrest on land
11. Unresponsive Drowning Person (adult, child, infant)
A minimum of 100% must be achieved to pass the practical element of the exam
a) Minimum of 80% score required to pass
✓ This includes a core examination (relating to general lifeguard duties).
✓ A specialty category(s) relating to shallow water, pool or beach lifeguard duties- whichever is applicable
✓ Exams will be in multiple choice formats
✓ The exam may be administered orally only if the material and/or the exams are not available in the language the candidate can understand or if the candidate cannot read or write.
Certification requirement and validity:
1. All candidates are required to pass both Written/Oral and Practical Examinations to be certified. The Practical Examination Specialties shall correspond to the Written/Oral Exam Specialties
2. To be eligible for lifeguard certification, candidates must:
✓ Hold valid first aid training and BLS (Health Care Provider CPR) qualification (this does not have to be from HSS, but the BLS/First Aid/Emergency response/CPR curriculum must be approved by DCAS and taught by a DCAS approved training center.)
✓ Have valid Occupational Health Card from Local Health Authority In the place he/she intend to work
✓ Comply with PHSD Substance Abuse Policy
✓ Comply with PHSD Code of Ethics
3. The certificate shall be valid for 1 year from the date of issuance.
4. Candidates have 30 days from the examination day to pass both theory and practical exam/s.
HSS Health & Safety Solutions are high-quality health and safety trainers and consultants ensuring that families, nannies, businesses and their employees have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to save a life in an emergency.